Events in Blue are open to the public
John Rosengren has spoken to groups around the country on topics ranging from writing hard-hitting opinion pieces to spotting signs of drug use in young athletes. The former high school teacher delivers a clear and honest message with moving anecdotes, many of them personal. His talks, like his writing, make an impact.
Book John to speak at your team banquet, writing conference, church function or whatever event where you're looking for a dynamic and impactful speaker. Click here to contact John for fees and availability.
January 17, 2015 • 9:30 a.m.
Witness of Champions: What Sports Have Taught Me About Diversity
Rotary District 5950
Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
John will speak at the district rotary training about the value of diversity as taught by the world of sports.
"Thank you for taking the time to read The Fight of Their Lives at our store. You are a wonderful speaker, an dit was clear everyone had an amazing time." –Anny Mayhew, Magers & Quinn Booksellers, Minneapolis, Minnesota
"I can't thank you enough for a fantastic event on Monday! I've never had so many people afterwards tell me how much they enjoyed it and appreciated how in-depth you went with answering their questions. And you definitely got more laughs than any speaker we've had up there!!"
--Rebecca Bell Sorenson, cofounder of the Eat, Drink & Get Published series
"The class is one of the best I've ever had. I went over my notes yesterday and it is a complete blueprint to producing an excellent profile."
--Jack Munday, author, on "The Art of the Profile"
"Thank you very much for your insights in class. I’ve come away with so many good tips and solid, practical business information. I’m fairly confident in my writing, but wasn’t so confident on the business end. It also helped me to confirm that, in many ways, I’m on the right track. I really feel equipped to go forth and prosper."
--Lynn Keillor, student in Freelance Success class
John teaches at the Loft Literary Center
"Your workshop (on book promotion) at The Loft on Saturday was outstanding. It was the most useful workshop or class I've taken at The Loft in the twenty years I've been going there. "
--Reva Rasmussen, author
"Just wanted to say how often I go back over my notes from the profiling workshop awhile back. I think that may be turning out to be the most practically useful information I've gotten from the Loft, and that's saying something."
--G. F. Gallagher, writer and “Art of the Profile” workshop participant
“Thank you so much for your time spent at Pax Christi. The parents who attended loved your presentations. You are greatly appreciated!”
--Holly Ress, Youth Minister, Pax Christi
"My students liked your presentation more than any other of the semester. You have such a great sense of humor and humility about the difficulties of the profession. I appreciate that very much."
Elizabeth Larson, adjunct instructor, University of Minnesota school of journalism
A SAMPLE OF PAST APPEARANCES
WORKSHOPS AND CLASSES
- “The Art of Networking,” the Loft, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “The Art of Profiling”, the Loft, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “The Art of Interviewing,” the Loft, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “The Art of Profiling,” Metropolitan Media Group, Bloomington, Minnesota
- “The Art of Interviewing,” Metropolitan Media Group, Bloomington, Minnesota
- “The Locker & the Closet: Men, Sport and Coming to Terms with Coming Out,” Annual Conference on the College Male, St. John’s University, Collegeville, Minnesota
- “Celebrating the Mystery of Teenagers,” parent group, Pax Christi Catholic Church, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
- “Writing for the Long Haul: Researching, Reporting, Organizing and Structuring a Book,” annual conference, American Society of Journalists & Authors, New York
- “Men are from Mars: Writing for Male Markets,” annual conference, American Society of Journalists & Authors, New York
- “Lights, Camera, Action: Get Ready for Fame,” annual conference, American Society of Journalists & Authors, New York
- “Making the Jump from Articles to Books,” annual conference, Society of Professional Journalists, Chicago, Illinois
- “So You Want to Get Published?” annual conference, National Lesbian & Gay Journalists Association, Miami Beach, Florida
- “Commentary on the Cutting Edge,” annual conference, Catholic Press Association, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- "Inside the World of Writers and Their Specialties,” regional event, American Society of Journalists & Authors, Eagan, Minnesota
- “Selling Yourself (No, That’s a Good Thing),” writers conference, Magazine Writers Festival, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “Careers in Publishing and Journalism,” career series, St. John’s University, Collegeville, Minnesota
- ”The Business of Writing,” monthly meeting, National Writers Union Journalism Division
- “A Book’s Journey,” monthly meeting, National Writers Union Books Division
- "Summer of 73: The Year that Changed Baseball Forever," People's University, Central Library, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “Blessed Are the Sports Fans,” school assembly, Hill-Murray High School, Maplewood, Minnesota
- “Behind the Scenes with Blades of Glory,” school assembly, Bloomington Jefferson High School, Bloomington, Minnesota
- “History and Glory of Minnesota High School Hockey,” men's club, Mount Olivet Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “To Thine Own Self Be True,” confirmation preparation, youth and adults, Pax Christi Catholic Church, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
- “Sex, Drugs and Rock ‘n Roll: To Thine Own Self Be True,” youth group, St. MIchael’s Catholic Church, Prior Lake, Minnesota
- “Grace and Gratitude,” faith formation group, St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “Meeting Christ in Teens,” parent group, St. Edward’s Catholic Church, Bloomington, Minnesota
- “Meeting Christ in Teens,” mothers group, St. Thomas Academy, Mendota Heights, Minnesota“Meeting Christ in Teens,” youth and adults, St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, Edina, Minnesota
- “Writing a Book Proposal,” classroom, Metro State University, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “The Freelance Life,” classroom, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “Writing for Magazines,” classroom, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- “Writing as a Career,” classroom, Wayzata High School, Plymouth, Minnesota
- “Summer of ‘73 Baseball Season,” classroom, Normandale Community College, Bloomington, Minnesota
- "The Joy of Hockey," community presentation, Northwest Regional Library Author Series, Roseau, Minnesota
- "The Art of Courage," Metropolitan Breakfast Club, St. Louis Park, Minnesota
- “Blades of Glory,” Tanner Court Book Club
- “Blades of Glory,” Thomas/Sheridan Book Club
- “Blades of Glory,” League of Catholic Women